Monday, October 22, 2007

Award Winning Cornbread

On Saturday, our ward had a Chili Cook-Off, where people can bring their best chili, cornbread, or dessert and they would be judged by the young women and men. Well I thought I would enter my cornbread. Well when we got there their was so many versions of cornbread that I thought I dont have a chance, surely there would be better tasting cornbreads than mine.

But to my surprise, Mine WON!! I was excited. Mine won as the sweetest tasting cornbread according to the young women and men. If any are interested in the recipe here it is. I hope you try it out.

1 C. margarine, melted 1 1/4 C cornmeal
1 1/2 C sugar 2 3/4 C flour
2 C buttermilk 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
4 eggs 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Mix all the ingredients together and pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Cook for 35 minutes at 375.
If you want to make a smaller batch, just cut everything in half.
Enjoy

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Congratulations Mary, I will have to try your cornbread next time we have chili.

Linda Clark said...

Looks like you will be in charge of bringing the corn bread to Sunday dinners! Way to go, that is cool. Next time you will have to enter some habbytoo chili.

Collette said...

Yep cornbread for Sunday is tradition. We haven't had it for a while so bring some over!!

Alisa said...

Wow, that is really cool. I will have to try that recipe next time I make cornbread, it looks like a good one!

Cami Jo said...

Congrats to you! I always remember seeing "Cornbread" on your weekly dinner list. I'll definately try it out!

Cami Jo said...

By the way- we had a "chili cook-off" for YW/YM's tonight, and I ended up making the YW's and the YM's. (It was a stake activity and I had to make James' share.) Anyway, mine tasted fine, but James' was a different recipe, and his won the award of "What were you thinking(?) prize" I guess I won't use that box of chili seasoning mix anymore! (I don't really even know where it came from, but i found it in my cupboard!)

Paulene Davis said...

Congratulations and thanks for the recipe. You continue to amaze me with your talents.

Dad said...

Since you guys were busy yesterday and were not able to come to dinner I had to try out the recipe.

Marvelous, simply marvelous. It went perfectly with the Habby Ribs.

Christina D said...

I just made your cornbread and LOVED it. Awesome recipe!